Thursday, April 20, 2006

First Day

Wow! This is my first blog. My knees are shaking. This is a little scarey but I have a lot to say and I'm excited to begin. From 1999 to 2002, I answered questions online at askme.com as smilingsunflower. I used the help of google to answer many of my questions so I'm excited to use blogger.com.

To start the morning off, I read the creativity newsletter by Eric Maisel and looked at his blog. www.ericmaisel.blogspot.com It inspired me to start my own. What an outstanding story in his creativity newsletter about a substitute teacher who teaches thinking! Teaching critical thinking should be basic to all curriculum in the classroom. It is sad that it is so rare.

Good news. At Weight Watchers yesterday I lost 3.2 pounds for a total of 11.2 pounds since starting on March 2nd. Not a lot but I'll take it, grateful that the number is going down. I believe in Weight Watchers that encourages healthy eating choices. 11.2 pounds down. 119 pounds to go. I've been carrying around another person for several years.

In 2002, I started to drastically change my life since I was concerned about my health. I signed up for the Corvallis Fall Festival Fun Run, not knowing if I would be carried off in a stretcher or survive. My son ran beside me every step of the way and I came in last place so proud that I had finished. After this I slowly ran in 7 more 5K's, walked 18 miles of the Portland Marathon as #1116 in 2003, finished 13 Volkswalks, and completed the half marathon for the Discovery Walk Festival in Vancouver in 2004. I was part of a Portland to Coast walking team in 2003 and wrote about it for Northwest Runner. In December, 2004, I learned to swim for the first time at the age of 56. Not bad but only the beginning.

So why am I still fat? Food, that's why. I love food. I've never had the problem of losing my appetite. I can eat under any circumstances. I did change my eating habits somewhat after being on the Dean Ornish diet for 6 months. Now I crave healthy foods with lots of fresh fruits and vegetables.

After not exercising for a week, I spent 60 minutes on the elliptical runner and 30 minutes swimming slowly. I did the elliptical runner in three parts since I was concerned about a recent bout of dizziness and light-headedness. I felt so great that it went well. Now I must be consistent.

I'm taking a novel writing course with Writer's Digest School and I received my 3rd assignment in the mail. I'm so excited because I'm seeing progress and my instructor liked my work. It can't get better than this! I'm also taking a novel writing course with the Institute of Children's Literature and the Long Ridge Writer's Group. I finished the challenge of National Novel Writing Month in November, 2005 at www.nanowrimo.org as wendywrites so I know I can finish my novel projects. I'm determined to succeed.

I will close to exercise, write, and read for the day. This blog should keep me moving forward with all my goals.

1 comment:

justJoan said...

Congrats on your weightloss and writing, Wendy! I'm happy to have another blog to visit when I'm procrastinating my writing! :-)