Sunday, November 13, 2011

Scott Gerweck

I was in the presence of genius today. I went to the Willamette Valley Symphony in Corvallis, Oregon at the Ashbrook Independent School Theatre. I heard Scott Gerweck's symphony, "At the Mountains of Madness," which was inspired by a novella written by Howard Lovecraft about a scientific expedition to the Antarctic. The complexity, the color, tone, and textures of the blending of so many different instruments was impressive. I have no doubt he will be writing scores for movies soon. I was in awe and in my heart was standing on my tippy-toes shouting bravo.

I did not realize until I heard Scott Gerweck speak before the symphony started that writing a symphony is similiar to writing a novel in that you search to find the right words, the blending of plots, bringing the characters alive with dialogue, and on and on.

It's a real treat to go to the Willamette Valley Symphony. I went last time too. Next time will be the music of Franz Schubert, Franz Josef Haydn, and Beethoven's Symphony Number 7 on Sunday, March 18, 2012 at 4 p.m. at Ashbrook Independent School in Corvallis. www.willamettevalleysymphony.org

No comments: