Monday, January 16, 2012

Apartment Fires

When I got up this morning, I turned on the news and learned there was an apartment fire this morning in Queen Anne in Seattle. The people who were stranded out in the cold were helped by Seattle Metro. A bus drove up and parked giving warm shelter to those who were waiting in the cold until they could go back to their apartment.

I was thinking that there should be rope ladders you could buy at Home Depot and other hardware stores so that people who live in an apartment building have an escape exit ready. Anyone living in a 3rd or 4th floor apartment could have a rope ladder that they could hang out their window or attach to their balcony for a safe exit in case of fire. This would reduce danger and reduce the risk of firemen who enter burning buildings to save someone in a 3rd or 4th floor who are trapped. I wonder if rope ladders are sold at Home Depot? I guess I will have to call and find out.

If rope ladders aren't sold for this purpose, then fire departments all over the United States could have them made and sell them for a fund raiser. I would buy one. I believe it would save lives.

I'll just bet that anyone trapped in an apartment in a fire and had to be rescued or who jumped, would say they wished they had a rope ladder at that moment.

No comments: