Wednesday, January 02, 2008

AWSP

I believe there is a need for successful mentors to sponsor talent in art and writing so I'm thinking of starting The Artist and Writer Sponsorship Program. No one moves forward without support, encouragement, and a mentor, or at least it is almost impossible to do so without someone in your corner to offer help. I thought that this would make the process easier for anyone ready to take the next step in achieving greatness in art and writing.

Anyone with documented potential and who is ready to go for it might apply to be matched with someone who has already achieved success and would like to mentor someone. We often hear of the starving artist and writer in this country because artists and writers who exhibit talent are not subsidized. I believe that should change. I believe there should be a support system and help for anyone who has talent in art and writing. [I believe the same is true for athletes, like runners but I've decided not to mix the categories at this time.]

The writer categories might be screenplays, plays, creative nonfiction, novel writing, short stories, etc. The artist categories might be sculpture, glass blowing, oils, watercolor, etc.

This is how the program might work at its best. A mystery novel writer or screenwriter who has achieved success and who is willing to mentor a writer might offer a stipend for living expenses for a period of time from 1 month to 6 months.

I've decided to test the waters for this idea and ask for comments and opinions.
Please write to me at:
Wendy Haber
PO Box 288
Alsea, Oregon 97324-0288

No comments: