Sunday, January 13, 2008

Breast Cancer

I received a phone call about a half hour ago from a woman asking me to donate to breast cancer. I interrupted and said, "Let me tell you my story." I went on to say that I am a breast cancer survivor since 1993 and that I am without health insurance or money in the bank. She quickly got off the phone. I think I made her feel uncomfortable.

I was diagnosed with breast cancer on 6-1-93 at the Marion County Health Department in Salem, Oregon and a 1 1/2 inch lump was removed by a great surgeon who works with the Health Department, Dr. Van Rozlen. About two or three years prior, I had asked my primary care physician to check a lump in my breast. He said, "don't worry about it. It's probably a cyst." So I didn't worry about it. I was very trusting back in those days and put doctors on a high pedestal.

My surgeon was able to remove all the cancer since the lump was incapsulated so I didn't have radiation or chemotherapy. You can't really tell that I had the surgery since I'm pretty fluffy right now.

The lesson is you must advocate for your own and best health care. You must keep at your doctor to get the care you need and ask the questions to get the answers to your medical questions.

My husband of almost 36 years has been really sick for most of the year in 2007. He was in the hospital at Good Samaritan in Corvallis for 6 days and has been looked at, prodded, poked, cut, blood was drawn, and tissue was analyzed but no one still knows what is wrong or what was wrong to the tune of over $50,000 and climbing. We received bills from doctors who hadn't even checked my husband.

I haven't been checked by a doctor in years. I'm beginning to think that it's best, cheaper, and safer to stay away. I think the answer is healthy food, vitamins, and exercise.

We have a health care crisis in our country. I am one of those without medical insurance. It makes me feel like I don't matter and that no one cares. In my opinion, I believe it goes back to Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs--if your basic needs aren't met, how can you be expected to perform at your best?

If someone's support system was pulled out from under him, losing his job with family and friends turning away so he ended up homeless on the street, how can this person be expected to be at his best? Even if this person has the potential of accomplishing great goals, EVERYONE needs support, care, encouragement, and help sometimes.

I remember a quote. It was from Aristotle or Confucius. It went something like this..."a life without friends is a life not worth living." I think it's interesting that this is Sunday and many people went to church today feeling good about themselves and how good they are. However, when there are people who are in great need, lonely, and need friendship and support, is the definition of a good person to turn a blind eye to those in need? Many people love to help anonymously without "getting their hands dirty." They don't want any complications to mar their life. They are willing to give a buck or donate something but they don't want to listen or offer real help and support. I don't think people heal without real communication with a real person and a real friend.

Just my two cents...............

No comments: