Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Amtrak

I love trains and I love riding on Amtrak. I’m a little kid again when I hear the train whistle going through towns and hear the rails on the track.

When I was a little girl in Libby, Montana, one Christmas I got a train set. It had real smoke and logs. It was glorious. One summer day, my dad drove my mom and me to Troy so we could ride on the train back to Libby. All this started my love of trains.

There’s something magical about trains. You’re going somewhere. I feel the excitement in the air. It would be fun to work for Amtrak and serve food in the dining car. Everyones nice who works for Amtrak.

This is the 4th time this year that I’ve traveled on Amtrak round trip from Albany to Seattle and back. My son, Benjamin and daughter-in-law, Amanda sent tickets four different times so we could see our newest granddaughter, Anna. This time it was for five days. We had the joy and honor of babysitting for Anna.

On the way home on the train between Seattle and Portland, I got to see the movie Julie and Julia. I’ve been wanting to see this movie because it was written by Nora Ephron, my favorite screenwriter. It was everything I thought it would be. I loved it and it was such a treat to see it on the train.

You never know what the future brings but I hope there are more trains in my future.

Everyone should go on vacation this New Year, 2010, on Amtrak. You don’t have to fight the traffic. You can sit back and relax. There are dining cars where you can sit down at a big table to eat and look out the windows. There are sleeping cars where you can sleep during an extended trip. There are double-decker sight-seeing cars. Many smart business people travel by train. I also see a lot of students. If it is game day in Seattle and I am going home at the right time, there are people coming back to Tacoma from a game in Seattle. It’s all fun and well worth the money.

Plan your next vacation or business trip using Amtrak. You’ll be so glad you did.
www.amtrak.com

No comments: