Monday, November 02, 2009

Black Swan Classic Jazz Band

Yesterday I was in the right place at the right time. I saw an announcement in the Corvallis Gazette Times that the Black Swan Classic Jazz Band was going to play Dixieland at the 1st Presbyterian Church in Corvallis so I went. I was there over an hour early because of the changing of the clocks for day light savings time so I read several articles in the latest issue of the Writer. That worked great.

When they started to play it was glorious. There is no happier music on the planet, in my opinion. You can't be sad in the presence of Dixieland or Disneyland. Just a fact. This group is amazing. They are all great performers and versatile musicians. They are good enough for a world tour and to pack in crowds. They are good enough to be on the David Letterman Show and on the Late, Late Show with Craig Ferguson.

I experienced pure joy and happiness during those two hours tapping my foot, slapping my leg, and shaking my head to the beat. This is heaven--listening to the Black Swan Classic Jazz Band.

Marilyn Keller tours Europe, Australia, and also plays with New Orleans Delight. Her voice is strong, powerful, and clear. She's a great performer. Ron Leach is great on the drums. He keeps it all going. Dave Holo is gifted on the cornet. It was joy to listen to him. John Bennett played solos on the piano from ragtime to dixieland--perfection. Pat O'Neal was amazing on the trombone. He's played for stars like Della Reese, Mel Torme' and others. He knows his way around on the stage. He's electric. The great Kit Johnson plays the tuba in the background and introduced the band. John McKinley has played with Pearl Bailey, Lawrence Welk, Helen Reddy and Burl Ives. He's on the banjo and knows his way so fast up and down the frets that you can't keep up with his fingers. Steve Matthes on the clarinet plays like Pete Fountain, my favorite of all times. He's from Corvallis and is Director of the Corvallis Community Band.

As I was leaving and put money in the basket, the lady said that it looked like I was having a good time. I said yes and it would last for several months. She said there's lots of great music in Corvallis. I don't know. It seems like the best music is in Portland.........Pink Martini, Black Swan. I wish I could be part of something so fine..........

Kit Johnson, manager
kit@bscjb.com
www.bscjb.com
503-292-7673

No comments: