Thursday, August 03, 2006

My Garden

I measured my garden space last weekend and found out that I have 2500 square feet in garden. I have plans to dig more beds and to put more of my land in production. We have 3.68 acres. One acre can be used for garden. The other 2 1/2 acres is to be kept in timber.

I have big plans to add dwarf fruit trees, nut trees, more blueberries, thornless blackberries and raspberries, seedless table grapes, currants, hardy keewee, more corn, and more delicious fresh vegetables.

I'm not sure I want to sell much. I'm mainly doing this to make sure I have enough food. I know how to can and preserve since I took the Master Food Preserving course in Salem in 1999 at the same time that I went through the Master Gardening course. That year in Master Gardening, I volunteered 175 hours of my time in addition to the time with showing people how to can in demonstrations.

I've never had a garden this big before so I need to learn more about crop rotation, what vegetables work together, and I need to start a serious garden journal.

I also want to have a big dahlia bed with a large variety of dahlias. I love dahlias. They make such great bouquets to bring in the house and to give away.

This will all take time. Inch by inch, foot by foot, and yard by yard, my garden will get bigger and bigger.

No comments: