Wednesday, August 09, 2006

So You Think You Can Dance

So You Think You Can Dance is ENTERTAINMENT in all caps! The high energy show teaches the spirit of dance. Nigel Lithgoe, the correographers, and other produces of this important show, my favorite show, should win major awards for encouraging dance at a time when obesity is so high among youth and adults in this country. I can think of no greater joy than dance.

I've learned a lot about different types of dance. I had no idea what krumping was and now I have a true appreciation for hip hop. I still have a lot to learn but this show is explosive with talent from the dancers and choreographers. Original routines are expected by Mia Michaels. Brian Friedman said, "I love when dance is art." So do I. The "dorktastic" routine, a phrase coined by Brian referring to Shane Spark's choreography tonight, was fun and unexpected. Gifted choreographers, the BEST of the Best are featured on this show.

The group pop routine at the end, choreographed by Wade Robson, was original, art, fun, and pure joy to watch. I love this show. It makes me want to get up and dance at 58. I dance in my heart with each one on stage.

Next week we will learn who America picks as the favorite dancer. Out of four gifted dancers, one will be selected by the vote. My vote out of the four is for Travis who I feel is the greatest of all as a technical dancer and performer. All will go on to major careers on stage, no matter who wins. They have all danced their hearts out, showing emotion from their toes, up through each part of their body with high energy and talent. They are all winners! Thank you, Nigel Lithgoe, for bringing So You Think You Can Dance into my living room!

No comments: