Thursday, February 28, 2008

The Big 60

On Monday, the 25th, I turned 60. For the last few months, I've been feeling my age. I've been noticing new wrinkles and feeling slower in my step. I've always felt very young inside until lately. I've decided I'm going to skip by threes in reverse every year from this year forward so next year I'll be 57 or maybe I should skip right to 40 and stay there.

For my birthday, my son, Benjamin and his wife, Amanda, sent my husband and I tickets on Amtrak Cascades to travel round trip from Albany to Seattle and back. I love traveling by train. After Ben and Amanda picked us up from the station on Saturday, we drove to their home in Green Lake where I followed clues to the big surprise, which was my son, Daniel in the backyard who flew out from Columbus, Ohio to spend time with me on my birthday. I know that Daniel didn't have the time to do this but it always means so much to see him. I'm grateful I got to spend the weekend with him. Everyone made my birthday so special. This was the best birthday I've ever had in my life.

After the excitement of seeing Daniel, we drove in the car to Alkai Beach where it was crowded with everyone enjoying the sun and we ate fish and chips at Spuds. It couldn't have been nicer. Then we drove back home for the Sponge Bob birthday cake with candles and the gift of a family photo taken at Ben and Amanda's wedding. For dinner, we went to my favorite Italian restaurant, Buca de Beppo for fun and great food with everyone at the table including Alicia, Amanda's sister, and Sharon and Scott, Amanda's parents. It was wonderful.

On Sunday morning, we walked to the Rusty Pelican in Wallingford where I always order the garden skillet because it's so delicious and always perfect. Next we went to visit the troll that lives under the bridge in Fremont, the center of the universe. I'm writing a children's book about him. Then it was onto the Sunshine Cafe in Ravenna where I had a delicious slice of homemade wheat bread with hummus. After that there was a surprise by my son, Daniel who arranged for me to have a manicure at the Derby Salon with Jessie who is delightful to talk to. Then we drove to downtown Seattle to see the movie, Fool's Gold and afterwards I had a delicious luau salad at the Cheesecake Factory before taking Daniel to the airport.

When we got up on Monday, we had fun playing canasta and drinking coffee. Later we walked around the beautiful Green Lake. Benjamin took Les and out for lunch to May Thai Restaurant and I had a delicious vegetable stir fry before boarding the train at 2:20 p.m. on Cascade Train 507 south bound.

This was the best birthday I have ever had in my life and I'm grateful to my family for making it so nice. Thank you.

No comments: