Sunday, February 03, 2008

Hydroponics

The first time that I became aware of hydroponics was when I visited Disney World for the first time in Orlando, Florida with our children, and went to Epcot Center to see the hydroponics exhibit which grows all the food for the resorts and restaurants in Disney World. It was amazing. The vertical growing techniques in nonsoil mediums in PVC pipes was exciting to witness. They grow everything you can imagine.

Later I attended a workshop through OSU Master Gardening about hydroponics and even helped out at the Oregon State Fair in Salem at the exhibit answering questions. Although I have never had a hydroponic setup at my home, I believe in hydroponics and all the possibilities to grow fresh tomatoes, herbs, and salad greens year around in your home ready for the dinner table. I would love to do this someday but can't afford the electricity for the grow lights plus my house isn't big enough for plants and two housecats to coexist.

I would love to have two windmills on our acreage that pays for all my electricity with extra left over to sell, IF I decide to stay here. I'd love to set up a greenhouse using hydroponic equipment but all this takes money.

I've never understood why our country doesn't invest in hydroponic equipment and greenhouses. There should be tax incentives. In Canada there are massive hydroponic greenhouses heated with solar energy and the same in the Middle East. With our water shortages throughout the United States and the need for fresh food, why don't we do it here? Hydroponics uses 1/30th the water because it recycles the water. The growth rates are up to 10 times that of soil gardening. It works and it uses less space.

No comments: