Sunday, April 13, 2008

Christopher Vogler

On Saturday, April 12, I had the opportunity to learn from Christopher Vogler in Newport, Oregon from 9 a.m. until 4 p.m. He wrote the WRITER'S JOURNEY, an important book for any writer who wants to understand the mythic structure common to all great stories and screenplays. He was brought to Oregon by Oregon Writer's Colony. http://www.oregonwriterscolony.org/

I'm so glad I went. I've already read his book through twice and now I'm going to read his book a third time. One of the most important lessons from his book for me in life and in writing is about the threshold guardian, what it represents in life and how to deal with them when you meet up with them.

Christopher Vogler is rich with stories. I loved listening to him and learning about story structure. He just came back from Ireland. He has read thousands of scripts and he knows what are the ingredients of a winning screenplay. He's worked for Disney and all the major movie studios. He's worked with some of the greatest stars and on some of the best movies, like Anna and the King. I love Jodie Foster. He must know her. How does it get better than this? He lives a magical life filled with meaning, creativity, and he works to help writers.

His website is http://www.thewritersjourney.com/

No comments: