Thursday, April 03, 2008

Green Velvet

My parrot died on 4-1-08. He was beautiful and my heart is filled with memories. Here's a poem I wrote for him.

Green Velvet
By Wendy Haber 4-2-08

Green Velvet to wrap your bones
To give homage and honor
To your words, the joy you gave us,
Your companionship, and your life.

For 29 years we called you Pablo.
You made us laugh. You made us smile.
You called our names.

“Oh, you’re so cute!”
“Hello, Sweetheart!”
“I love you soooo much!”
Filled the silence in our house.

As you sang the words of the
First two lines of
“I left my heart in San Francisco,
It never failed to bring a smile.

I was proud to know you and
Proud you were a member of our family.

How could you be gone so quickly
When I expected you to outlive me!
Now, you’re with Aaron sitting on his shoulder—
His buddy, his solace.

I’ve kept every green feather
from the bottom of your cage.
A precious gift, Now a reminder.

On 4-1-08 at 11 p.m. you died.
One minute you were drinking water,
The next minute you were gasping for breath
At the bottom of the cage.
I opened the door to pet your sweet head and
Talk to you softly and you were gone a moment later.

I held you for hours close to my heart
Rocking you like my baby sad to see you go.
Tears well up easily in memory of your love
I’ll miss you, my friend cradled in green velvet.

Green velvet to wrap your feathers
As you lay on a piece of Howard’s blanket.
A final resting place under a tree with a bench
For you to sit on my shoulder and sing in my heart.
Good night, my sweet friend.

No comments: