Friday, April 17, 2009

Religion

Where am I on the religion front? I feel disillusioned from my questions and experiences. I still don't know where I belong or if I want to belong. I grew up as a Lutheran going to church every Sunday with my parents. I had an unfortunate experience as a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from 1995 to 2001 during which time I found out that this church is not what it seems or pretends. I was recently told by an Episcopal priest that if I go to church, I should sit in the back and not talk--in other words, I should hide my light under a bushel. I've always told my children to be the best you can be and to shine so that advice just didn't feel right since I am looking for a place where I will be encouraged to live up to my potential. I learned in attending services at an Episcopal church that in the 3rd century, the story of Jesus was changed and politically motivated. Jesus, a good Jewish boy who wanted everyone to get along and be kind to one another became more than a man in order to jazz up the story. Then I saw a special on the history channel called Christmas Unwrapped with the details and evidence. My husband was raised Jewish. I spoke with a Rabbi recently who said that God is within and answers come from within so why go to church or synagogue? Or was he saying to me that I didn't belong there either? A few years ago, I spoke with a woman my age who said that if she didn't keep up her membership in her church, she would have no friends. I thought that was sad. I still enjoy watching and listening to Joel Osteen every week. He's positive and encouraging but you have to live in Houston to be part of his church. So I'm waiting. Someday I will figure it out. Someday it will become clear where I belong.

No comments: