Sunday, March 02, 2008

Feed

I checked out FEED by M. T. Anderson at the library yesterday and I'm almost finished. It won a Los Angeles Times Book Prize 2002 young adult fiction award, and was a finalist for the National Book Award. I recommend listening to the audio book at the same time that you read the book so you get the full nuance of the voices of young people to capture the full experience.

It's a disturbing book, not only because of the deterioration of our society and young people but of the consequences of choices to ignore warnings about our environment and using harmful chemicals. I shudder to think that my grandchildren might have to live in a society like this with a "feed" implanted in them at birth giving them instant access to computer knowledge with streaming commercials. When I think about this, I think about the research at Oregon State University and Hewlett Packard in Corvallis into nanotechnology. I think about how invasive and what a danger this has the potential to be to civil liberties and individual rights. Sometimes I'm glad I'm 60. The choices made by the leaders in this country are taking our country away from a path of freedom and individual rights.

No comments: