Tuesday, March 04, 2008

The Teaching Company

I've recently discovered the great gift of learning from the amazing courses through The Teaching Company. At 75% off, I selected as my first choice, Argumentation: The Study of Effective Reasoning taught by Professor David Zarefsky of Northwestern University. I believe that studying logic, rhetoric, and reasoning are basic to writing and will help me as a writer. I was right. I believe this course can help all writers to organize and uplift their writing to higher standards of argument. I learned so many things about the history of debate, how to organize an argument for effective reasoning, and now I want to read everything by Aristotle. I plan on listening to it again and again. This is a great gift to give to any young person in school for this course is basic to all learning and study.

The Teaching Company was founded in 1990 "to ignite people's passion for lifelong learning by offering great courses taught by great professors." The professors are selected "for intellectual distinction and teaching excellence." The courses range from art and music to history, economics, religion, and science.

I just finished listening to The Study of Effective Reasoning by listening to it in my car as I drive back and forth to Corvallis and now I'm on to the second course that I selected, Einstein's Relativity and the Quantum Revolution: Modern Physics for Non-Scientists by Professor Richard Wolfson from Middlebury College. He's an amazing teacher. I could learn anything from him.

I'm interested in almost all of the courses offered and plan on purchasing them through the coming years. I'm excited to select courses on philosophy, history, and literature first. I can't afford to go back to school with the high cost of higher education. I've love to get my masters degree and go on for a Ph.D. but it's unrealistic. Even the best universities do not have all the best teachers that inspire at their universities but the Teaching Company does.

With a lifetime satisfaction guarantee take a look, order a catalog, and try a course by calling 1-800-TEACH-12.
http://www.teach12.com/

2 comments:

Doug van Orsow said...

Yes, The Teaching Company certainly has a valuable product. You may find my use forum helpful, where I review all lectures from their newest courses:

http://teachingcompany.12.forumer.com

I hope you enjoy it,

Doug van Orsow

Wendy Marie Haber said...

I'm impressed with your website. It encourages debate, reason, thinking, and learning. Congratulations! I'll enjoy reading comments.