Thursday, February 11, 2010

Anne Lamott

Anne Lamott wrote one of the best books on writing of all times, BIRD BY BIRD, and is always listed as a favorite of writers.

I am in the middle of reading PLAN B--FURTHER THOUGHTS ON FAITH by her. Anne Lamott is Presbyterian. I have to share with you a paragraph on page 110 when she talks about what David says about the Church of 80% Sincerity because I think it's realistic and truthful. "...Everyone has to come to understand that unconditional love is a reality, but with a shelf life of about eight to ten seconds. Instead of beating yourself up because you feel it only fleetingly, you should savor those moments when it appears. As David puts it, 'We might say to our beloved, Honey, I've been having these feelings of unconditional love for you for the last eight to ten seconds.' Or 'Darling, I'll love you till the very end of dinner.' "

I seriously considered becoming a Presbyterian until I witnessed the OSU debate with Marcus Borg, an Episcopal and the Presbyterian minister who told Mr. Borg that he wasn't a Christian. I thought it was mean and incredibly judgmental. The condemning and better than thou attitude just makes it difficult for me to deal with.

I went to one service at First Presbyterian in Corvallis and found the service very nice. I liked it but evidently not everyone thought I fit in.

One lecture with Marcus Borg at the Presbyterian Church was interesting. This was my first experience. I found the room filled with many women in sensible shoes and practical clothes that seemed to come out of an Eddie Bower or LL Bean catalog. I thought it was nice.

I know one Presbyterian couple who live their life doing everything right and good. I admire that.

I guess I question too much. I believe that if there is a God, that he made everyone and loves everyone and just wants everyone to get along. I don't find this kind of consensus anywhere. Everyone wants to think their way is better than anyone elses. I'm just going to stay to myself and try to live the best life I can. I don't claim to have answers or to be better than anyone but I sure know that I don't like to see people condemn one another.

No comments: