Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Health Care

Unless there is single-payer health care, not all people in this country are valued. The only ones who are valued are those who have money and a great job. This means that the poor, the ones without opportunities, will be left at the curb without care.

I'm disappointed in Democrats in power who have cared more about their own self interest and not the American people when they had a chance to stand for single payer health care. When you have the power and don't use it, it is worse than not having it at all.

President Obama is trying hard to find common ground and has taken incredible verbal abuse from those around him. I'm disappointed that he doesn't do what is necessary. All great leaders throughout history have had violent opposition. Your enemies will never agree with change. The rich have a stake in maintaining status quo. I had hoped that President Obama would stand for those without and be the voice to help right wrongs and to forge a new path.

Free health care has always been trounced by the medical establishment. Why did I believe that anything would happen?

Greed seems to rule in this country. In the Corvallis Gazette Times yesterday I read that a credit card rate of 59.9% is legal now. How can that be legal? The Supreme Court has recently declared that a business or corporation is now an individual. This means that in the next election, we could elect Goldman Sachs. Wow! One in four houses are upsidedown in equity or more is owed than the property is worth. Yikes!

The rift between the rich and poor is becoming wider and wider. What can you do? Grow your own food, if you have land. Save, if you can. Don't buy unless you need something. Trade and barter services, if you can arrange it. Do the best you can until the end.

Sure I wish I could be rich too. I think everyone does. I've love to get manicures and pedicures every month, have a massage once in awhile, buy clothes, buy the gifts I want to buy for my family, have a big house with a great kitchen but things didn't work out this way. There are millions of people who don't have what they need, let alone what they want.

The rich seem to feel they have a right to all the money. It's never enough what they have and they don't want or feel the need to share. They feel entitled. They feel they have a right to everything they want, the best schools for their children, the best jobs, the best the world has to offer. They seem to feel that those whose life wasn't as blessed aren't as good as or as intelligent or as disciplined or as worthy as they are or the poor would have what they have too. But if you stack the deck so the smartest of the poor can't reach the rungs on the ladder, how can you climb up? You need help. You need opportunities. You need education. You need mentoring. You need someone to show they care about you and value the potential within you.

For my birthday tomorrow on February 25th when I turn 62, I dream that something will change in the hearts of those in the House of Representatives and Senate in Washington D.C. and that all will remember why they ran for office. I dream that they will remember the hopes and dreams they had of making a difference for those they represent. I dream that they will have the courage to come forward and join hands with those around them, forgetting difference, and foregoing the money offered to them by lobbies. I dream that they will right the wrongs and stand for what is right. I dream that they will value all the people who live in their state to give them opportunities to go to school, to have health care, and to have a job. This is what I want for my birthday--single payer health care for all, a great job, and the opportunity to get my masters degree. Another big wish is that all my children and grandchildren will surprise me and magically show up at my house for dinner.

No comments: