Thursday, February 18, 2010

OHSU

Yesterday, my husband, Leslie, and I drove to Portland to go to OHSU. Les made an appointment for me to have a mammogram so I could be checked. We had a great day. I love Portland--OMSI, Portland Art Museum, broadways plays, live theater like the Neil Simon plays last year.

Why do I go all the way to Portland to get a mammogram? I used to get checked through the Komen Foundation but they stopped helping me. I had breast cancer in 1993. A great surgeon in Salem, Dr. Van Roselyn did the lumpectomy. The almost 2 inch lump was cancerous. I didn't have radiation or chemotherapy. The lump was incapsulated. When Dr. Van Roselyn found out that it was cancerous, he went in again to scrap out more tissue to make sure it was clean. I haven't had a problem since but I felt what I thought was a lump last week so I needed to be checked. I've found out through my husband's difficulty in getting medical answers that not all doctors are created equal so we drive to OHSU.

The tests showed that I didn't have anything to worry about so I'm not going to worry. I dropped my worries about breast cancer in the waste bucket as I walked out the door. The lump I felt was probably milk glands. A doctor checked and said that the pain I feel on my right side when I am resting can't be explained. I wonder if there is a problem with my stomach--a tumor? Les laughed and said that a doctor would laugh at that one since I'm fat.

Anyway I am grateful to be checked. I'm not going to worry and I'm grateful to have been seen.

When I walked through the building to catch the tram to get the mammogram, I noticed that OHSU was given a free heart screening so I signed up. What a wonderful service! I love going to OHSU just because you are surrounded by smart people who care.

No comments: