Wednesday, December 04, 2013

SHAG

SHAG is the senior housing here in Seattle. I visited the newest complex called Interurban on Linden in North Seattle yesterday morning. It's so nice. It's a beautiful complex. There are so many ways to interact with others in common areas. SHAG is affordable housing and income restricted. I qualify.

I loved the apartment I wanted. I viewed four. I could be happy there. I would have to squish down and get rid of more stuff but I could be happy there. What I love most is the peapatch garden area on the roof with great views of the mountains. I would want to garden. They have a fitness center with Precor ellipticals, my favorite and a weight machine. They have a media center where it looks like it would be great fun to watch a movie. They have a pool table. There are plenty of places to find a table to play mah jongg or canasta. I noticed on the bulletin board that they were having a wine and cheese tasting event and a free evening trip to the Seattle Symphony. They have knitting and cooking classes.

The best part is that I would make friends and I wouldn't be alone all the time. Writing is such a solitary activity. It's hard to be alone all the time. I don't get to see family very often and sometimes it just gets hard.

What Interurban doesn't have is a pool or spa but this is an income restricted building so you can't have everything. They also don't have a dance floor but the lady said you can push tables to the side.

I was thinking of all the ways I could be helpful and needed. I went through the master gardening program in Oregon in 1999. I love to cook. I love to knit, quilt, sew, crochet. I'm a new Zumba instructor but there wouldn't be a place for Zumba Gold. Zumba Gold is for seniors and there is also training to teach seniors in wheel chairs. I saw a few wheeling around.

I'm seriously thinking about this choice. This is a fabulous building and so nice. It is close to the Interurban trail.

The rent is close to what I pay now. Right now I live in such a convenient location. I wouldn't have bus 41 but there is a bus that stops right out front of the building.

If my writing or zumba takes off, I doubt I would move and I would want to stay where I am.

It was funny because last night when I was at my class at the University of Washington, we reviewed Toy Story 3 and tears started down my cheeks because I, like the toys, don't feel needed. Yesterday afternoon, I got to see my granddaughters but I don't get to see them very often. I need to be around people and I need friends.

No comments: