Thursday, August 27, 2009

Senator Jeff Merkeley

Outside the Salem Public Library on Wednesday late afternoon, a volunteer was collecting signatures for single-payer health care. I signed. I was there with my daughter, Gretchen and grandchildren, Jack and Lizzy. As I was signing, I spoke to the man collecting signatures and found out that he went to dinner with Senator Jeff Merkeley. He said that Jeff Merkeley is supporting single-payer health care. I felt so proud of my new senator from Oregon. It takes great courage as a new Senator to work hard for something so controversial, even if it is so right. I was so proud of him and proud that I had volunteered to elect Senator Merkeley.

There is no greater way to honor Senator Ted Kennedy than for everyone in the House and Senator to work for single-payer health care and pass it NOW. This is not impossible. Nothing is impossible if everyone unites and works together to do what is right.

I called Senator Merkeley today and asked him to work to pass single-payer health care to honor the great tradition and memory of Senator Ted Kennedy.

No comments: