Thursday, December 17, 2009

Warren Buffet and Bill Gates

I watched a special presentation on CNBC with Warren Buffet and Bill Gates at Columbia Business School. The room was filled with hopeful MBA students who want a chance to have the life of Warren Buffet and Bill Gates. I learned a lot from what they said but also from what they didn't say.

Warren Buffet said that in 2008, it was an "economic pearl harbor," and that the "dominoes were really lined up." He also said that "having sound principles take you through everything." Warren Buffet said that "nothing has gone wrong with our system," and there is "equality of opportunity."

I don't buy this "equality of opportunity." There is opportunity if your family has already in position with money and connections. If you have money, there are opportunities and if your family is connected to the "right" people, you have promise. I'm sure that it is true that every MBA student in the room has a great future. They are at Columbia Business School.

What about the other kids who are brilliant without the money and the connections? Not all schools are the best environment for gifted and talented children. Not all teachers are capable of teaching to the high end of ability. Most are clueless of what to do. Yes, there are many who try very hard, are sincere, and are doing their best. Is it really fair to expect a teacher to teach to a wide range of ability in a classroom with few resources? Bill Gates said that our educational system in this country is lacking and needs to be fixed.

U.S. News and World Report just listed recently the top 25 schools in the United States. There weren't any in Oregon!

After thinking about this event with these great men who have accomplished their dreams, I believe the answer is to work hard and never give up. Work hard to learn all you can and get as much education as possible. You have to be serious now more than ever before and use every minute to your advantage without wasting any time. Warren Buffet said "to do what you love" and success will follow.

If things don't drastically change in this country and if, as Warren Buffet says, that "greed is alive and well," then there is a significant number of people in this country without a future, without opportunity, without hope for a better tomorrow.

I'm going to concentrate on reading, writing, growing my own food, taking care of my home, and doing what needs to be done to watch out for my husband. Will I get to go back to school? Will I get to get my MFA in creative writing? Will I get a job where I am challenged and where I can grow? I don't know but I do know that it requires mentors who know answers and are successful at what you want to do in life.

No comments: