Friday, February 16, 2007

High Blood Pressure

A couple of days ago I went into Safeway Pharmacy on Philomath Blvd. in Corvallis to pick up my husband's medication and then again last night to pick up the rest of it. While I was there I saw the chance to take my blood pressure in the waiting area so I checked it. It was 146 over 83 and my pulse was 71.

I don't have a regular doctor for care and I'm one of the millions of Americans without health insurance. When I need care, I look for a doctor who will take payments.

The last time I went into be checked was at the Benton County Health Department in Corvallis for a skin biopsy to see if I had skin cancer. First I checked medical books and then I consulted with my sons who said I should check. I didn't have skin cancer but I got a big bill that I'm still paying off. I have 30 something dollars left to pay.

A few years ago I was checked by the nurse at the clinic here in Alsea. I complained of headaches and described my problems reading music and the screen on the computer. I was given a prescription for omoxocilan. I almost died from the severe reaction. What I needed was middle distance vision glasses, which I now have.

When I've gone into see a dentist in Corvallis, I complained of pain in a tooth every time I was checked. Each time an X-ray was taken of this tooth. Finally after repeated x-rays and constant pain, I insisted that he pull the tooth. After threatening to have my husband pull it at home with his pliers, he finally relented and pulled the tooth. When he looked at the deep crack the full length of the tooth, he admitted that this tooth would always have caused pain and that it was good it was pulled. Great! After one check up, I received a paper saying that I had perfect teeth. I put this in my journal because of the irony since my front teeth are in need of big help. At one check up, I showed the dentist a chip in my front tooth and despite the protest of the dental assistant, he didn't fill it. Am I going back? No! I can't afford all this.

Americans need excellent medical and dental care. Americans should receive a certain basic level of care. No American should be without shelter or go hungry. It doesn't show basic respect for human life when basic needs aren't met in our society.

I need to find an excellent medical doctor and an excellent dentist who cares about giving excellent care and who continually upgrades his/her education. First I need medical insurance or a job to pay for it all. Right now my choice is to try to eat healthy and exercise. I can't afford medical problems. Prevention is key.

No comments: