Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Table Tennis

Did you know that the BEST sport for the brain is table tennis? I know! I didn't either. I'm reading a book called MAKING A GOOD BRAIN GREAT by Daniel Amen, M.D. You need to read it. He says that the best sports and exercise for the brain are table tennis, golf, tennis, walking, running, swimming. He said that the sports that you should not play and that are bad for the brain are football, soccer, and boxing. I used to love to play tennis and golf but that was years ago. I wish I had a tennis court near me or a golf course.

The brain has the consistency of butter and is extremely vunerable to brusing and damage. A concussion can bring complicated symptoms that haunt you for the rest of your life with a string of debilitating problems.

Football, soccer, boxing..........BAD!
Table tennis, golf, tennis, walking, running, swimming............GOOD!

To be honest, I've never understood why people push kids into playing football. Isn't sitting down and reading a book more important? Isn't learning math and science more important? Isn't it more important to learn how to think? Why spend the time playing football? Football creates generations of beer drinking men who sit on the couch watching a chosen few bash their heads during a game. After these chosen few who make the big bucks playing football on television are finished, they suffer severe disabilities with head injuries and other parts of their body battered, living in pain for the rest of their lives. Is this worth it? Is this worth the millions of dollars spent to glorify the sport of football? I don't think so.

No comments: