Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Work

My last day at work is on Thursday. It's too expensive to drive into Corvallis for a part-time job. I haven't been successful at landing a full time job as I had hoped, so I'm going to stay home to garden, write, read, and work on organizing all my stuff.

With gas prices over $4.11 at the last time I looked and planning to scale $5 a gallon, it's hard to live far from your job. We paid out over $350 in gas in May. That's too much. Our 2006 Toyota already has 44,000 miles on it.

City planners need to consider planning communities with everything that a person needs within walking distance of their home--shopping, schools, recreation, a gym, restaurants, work, and whatever else brings balance to your life that you feel is important. You shouldn't have to drive everywhere. At $4.11 a gallon, people are going to have to start looking around them to find ways to make do with what they already have within walking distance. It's a little easier for some than most but it's necessary.

I'm going to spend my time growing food. Yeah, that's the ticket! That's the answer.

No comments: