Wednesday, November 19, 2008

National Novel Writing Month

November is National Novel Writing Month. This challenge started by Chris Baty 10 years ago has inspired writers world wide to try to finish the first draft of a novel in 30 days. By turning out approximately 1700 words a day, you end up with 50,000 at the end of November. I am in awe of this accomplishment of Chris Baty and all that he has accomplished.

I completed the challenge in 2005 and I'm working on it again this month as wendywrites. I'm behind in my word count at the moment but plan on working hard to catch up despite bronchitis and not feeling well. I'm having fun with my characters who are onboard a houseboat sailing up the Willamette River. Yesterday they started the Floating on the River band as they are cruising through Albany.

The challenge of writing the first draft of a novel in a month is a great writing exercise for any serious writer or anyone who wants to be a serious writer.
http://www.nanowrimo.org/

In April, there is Script Frenzy, which is the challenge to write the first draft of a screenplay in a month. http://www.screenfrenzy.org/. Script Frenzy was also started by Chris Baty.

I love challenges and I enjoy the competition to try to make it to the finish.

Chris Baty should win the Nobel Peace Prize for this great accomplishment of inspiring writers all over the world. Bands should play, fireworks shoot off in the sky, and balloons should rise each time that he walks by writers. He has made it possible for many writers to achieve their dream of writing a novel. National Novel Writing Month is the reason why I finished my first mystery novel.

No comments: