Friday, March 13, 2009

Alsea School Board

There is a position open for the Alsea School Board and I'd like to serve in this way to help the children at the school. I believe strongly that all children have unlimited potential, except for those who are brain damaged. I believe that all have the potential to go on to college and make their dreams come true. I'm surprised that this isn't the case since not all students enter college who live here. There have been several examples of almost every student going on to college even those who live in severely economically disadvantaged areas because of the program and teachers. I've been critical about the lack of a federal school lunch program which I feel would help many children to have a free hot breakfast and lunch.

The deadline is the 19th of March. What is holding me back? Several reasons.....
1. No one has encouraged me to run. No one around here seems to want anyone disrupting what they are doing now. I've volunteered to help set up enrichment programs in the past but it was always discouraged or not wanted.
2. My husband has been seriously ill and needs care.
3. I had an experience as a Gates City Council member which makes me hesitate. I'll tell you the story. We were in a meeting. I questioned whether the issue discussed should be in an open meeting. The person in charge walked to the front door and opened the door saying, "It's now an open meeting." I then said that no one was alerted to the fact in the paper that it was an open meeting. I asked to see on paper where what we were doing was legal since I am big on following the rules. It turned out that I was right and that the meeting was in violation of the law. I was asked to sign saying that I had done something illegal. I refused to sign because I was the only one that even questioned it. I stood up for doing the right thing. Since everyone else signed, no one else had a problem. No one would help me take this blemish off my record even though I tried to do the right thing so how could I protect myself under similiar circumstances as a member of the school board?

No comments: