Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Wild Birds

Yesterday when I was stopped before driving into the parking lot of the complex at Good Samaritan Hospital where my husband has dialysis, I looked up and saw thousands of birds flying overhead in multiple V-shape formations. I've never seen so many in the sky at one time in my life. It was glorious. One left a package on my car window.

We feed the wild birds at our house. We see lots of wild birds. The other day we put up the hummingbird feeder because the hummingbirds are back. We put up suet for the Stellers Jays. I love them. We put out black thistle seed for the goldfinches. We put up dried corn in a feeder. We put out sunflower seeds and song bird seed. We see sparrows, robins, Oregon juncos, mourning doves, red-winged blackbirds, black-headed grosbeaks, rufous-sided towhees, swallows, ravens, turkey vultures, wrens, purple finches, evening grosbeaks, indigo buntings, lazuli buntings, scrub jays, blue jays, chickadees, nuthatches, and crows. I hear but I never have yet seen a Western meadowlark.

I love birds. I love to see them. They need to be protected, fed with plants in your yard and seed in feeders. My yard welcomes them.

No comments: