Friday, March 13, 2009

Alsea School

The Alsea School is one of three school districts in the state of Oregon without a federal school lunch program. The Corvallis Gazette Times ran a story on the front page last Sunday about this issue.

I believe there should be a federal program that is free for any child who needs it to make sure that children have the nutrition they need in order to learn. Many school districts all over the United States have federal school lunch programs. I believe that it is the easiest way to solve the problem of getting food to the students.

The meals that have been provided over the years have had a charge of $2.00 to $2.50, which those who would qualify for the free program cannot afford. Volunteers through the years have worked hard to cook meals for the kids but it takes more volunteer manpower to cook these meals than if they would just hire a cook, which would give someone a job who needs it. The meals that have been provided at a price haven't been offered every day.

Some say that the people are coming up with money to pay for the meals for those who can't afford it but I have talked to students who say that some children go hungry. Pride is the reason I think.

I've been told that as much as over 50% would qualify years ago. Then I heard that the figure was 25%. In the article in the Gazette Times, it lowered the figure even more to 10 to 15%. Even if the lower figure is true, it is too many children not receiving help.

I've lived in Alsea for 7 1/2 years and have talked to many people about this. I've written letters for grants to the Gates Foundation and to Myers Trust. I'm not a professional grant writer but I alerted them to the need. Nothing happened. I spent time talking to a gentleman at the Clemens Foundation in Philomath who was also concerned and said that they would be happy to pay for the cost of setting up the needed lunch room but the Alsea School has to want it. I've talked to state politicians about this issue. I've talked to people who live here. I've talked to the school board.

In my opinion, the list of excuses don't outweigh the strong need for nutrition for children who are in school who may not receive it at home.I've been told that the Corvallis School District offered to truck meals to the school but it was refused. I've been told that a local sherrif deputy offered to transport milk from Corvallis but it was refused.The former school board president, Brian Leavitt seems to be the strongest voice against the federal school lunch program since he goes to Salem to lobby before the legislature. He's also the minister of the Church of Christ in Lobster Valley close to Alsea. He's the Fire Chief. He's a federal marshall. I don't understand this. He volunteers a lot to help people in the community. It doesn't make any sense to me.

I sincerely hope that someone provides the funds needed to set up the program so that the Alsea School can qualify. It said in the article in the Corvallis Gazette Times that it would take $250,000 to make it happen plus the salaries of two employees. Anyone out there with deep pockets and a heart who cares?

No comments: