Monday, June 12, 2006

Family

Les and I visited Gretchen, Chris, and our grandchildren, Jack and Lizzy in Salem yesterday. They have a gorgeous new home in the hills of West Salem. Jack was miserable with allergies but it is always fun to see the kids and spend time with them.

Gretchen is only $1,500 away from meeting her fundraising goal for Liberty House. A check from the Roth family came in last week for $10,000. Another hero in Salem! When I think of the name Roth, I think green. Green is the main color theme in their chain of grocery stores. I also think of great chocolate frosted donuts, which I enjoyed when I lived in Salem and shopped at Roths. I also think of the great Salem hero, Orville Roth who is the major financial contributor for the Children's Garden at the Oregon Garden in Silverton. When I went through the Master Gardening program in Salem in 1999, I learned of his plans and later saw the spectacular results. His program funds trips to students in public school classes from all over Oregon to visit the Oregon Garden each year. I believe it's in the 5th grade.

No comments: