Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Weight Watcher Wednesday

Milk was the topic at Weight Watchers today. In addition to providing the calcium needed for bones and teeth, it provides protein, zinc, riboflavin, vitamin D, and helps you lose weight. Dairy products help to regulate your heart beat, helps reduce bone loss, helps transmit nerve impulses, helps muscles contract, and prevents osteoporosis. After menopause, the acceleration of bone loss goes way up so that's why women over 50 need three servings a day.

What constitutes a good dairy choice? Yogurt, cheese, nonfat or lowfat milk, cottage cheese, pudding, hot chocolate made with milk. Tips for adding more dairy to your diet are consider eating cheese and milk as a snack, add cheese to a sandwich, freeze yogurt and smoothies, use milk in soups and on cereal.

The latest research shows that eating yogurt promotes weight loss. I love yogurt. I eat the nonfat kind that is 4 points. I also eat string cheese. I rarely drink a glass of milk but I think I need to reconsider this. With all the benefits of milk and dairy products, I need to make sure I eat my three servings a day.

At the meeting today there were three women who lost 25 pounds. One lost 10 pounds and several lost their first 5 pounds. One young mother reached her 10% goal and reached the 16 week goal. I heard testimonials today from several Weight Watchers that the Core Program fills them up so they aren't hungry and they are successful at reaching their weight loss goals.

Meetings are always an inspiration. Nancy, our leader, said that Weight Watchers who are consistent in attending meetings find three times the success as those who weigh in and leave.

I lost .4 pounds this week to make up for the gain of .4 pounds last week. I'm back on track. I had a bout with cake and ice cream during the week that threatened my progress but I'm okay now.

My exercise for the week looks like this:
Today
One hour Hydrofit in the deep water and one hour Fit for Life with weights.
Saturday through Tuesday
Gardening and housework
Friday
30 minutes swim with snorkel and 10 minutes NuStep
Thursday
Total Body Sculpt with Gilad on FitTV
Wednesday
30 minutes exercise bike, 45 minutes snorkel in pool, and Gilad's Body in Motion on FitTV

No comments: