Saturday, March 31, 2007

Car in the Ditch


There's another car in the ditch this evening. This event happens quite frequently in front of our house. We have a severe curve and several times a year, we see cars face down in the ditch.
I was staying up late this evening sewing a shirt for my four year old grandson, Jack out of Curious George fabric. I went into the kitchen to get another diet Coke out of the refrigerator around 11:30 p.m., when I saw lights flashing in the kitchen window. I looked out and there were two fire trucks, two police cars, people standing in the middle of the road, and an ambulance. I didn't hear a thing. I was watching David E. Kelley's new comedy that I had recorded on the TiVo, The Wedding Bells.

I went outside to find out what was going on and took my camera so I could add to my "car in the ditch" photo collection.
Today was quite productive. I sewed four pillow cases for gifts. I finished sewing a dress for my granddaughter, Lizzy, and the Curious George shirt is almost finished for Jack--all but the button holes. I even drove into Corvallis to buy interfacing at Joann Fabrics so I could finish his shirt tonight.
I'm usually not up this late. I'm usually in bed by 8 or 9 and up at 5 a.m. so this is unusual.
It's 2:04 a.m. right now as I am writing and trucks are still outside finishing up. At a time when Benton County is pulling back services due to budget cuts, it looks like Alsea is taking up the slack and is out protecting everyone in full force. I feel very safe with all the trucks and cars out front. There must be a little more going on than I know about because there is a K-9 unit police car. There must be someone involved with drugs that they are investigating.
Excitement doesn't stop in the small town of Alsea. I think it's time for Wendy to go to bed and try to get some sleep.

No comments: