Monday, August 13, 2012

Gyms for Seniors

There needs to be gyms for senior or gyms need to do a better job of providing more exercise choices for members. Most of the time when you walk into a gym, it is one program for everyone, no matter what the demographics. Usually all you get is a sitting in a chair exercise program for old folks. I think there should be a wide variety of choices. You can't train everyone the same.

If I had a gym or managed a gym, it would have to be a spacious gym with lots of choices. There would need to be three huge exercise classrooms the size of a basket ball court with no pillars in the center of the room to obscure vision. There should be classes running from early morning until evening in each classroom running every hour with lots of variety and choices. There should be Tai Chi, Chi Gong, Zumba, Zumba Gold, Zumba Toning, pilates, yoga, hatha yoga, standing abs, body pump, body pump for seniors, line dancing, ballroom dancing, and on and on. One of these classrooms would allow roller skating at different times of the day, every day. The more choices the better.

If I have to sit in a chair and exercise just because I am 64, I might as well give it up. I refuse! I have a lot more active years ahead of me. I feel like I have just begun living and I am determined to run and dance and play well into my 90's!

Since I don't have health care, I try to exercise more and longer at a slower rate. Often trainers tell you to go faster to bring up your heart rate and then injury often occurs with older people. I think it is important to listen to your body and exercise slower and exercise longer. I think you have to build up endurance and strength but you must do it safely.




No comments: