Monday, August 27, 2012

Social Isolation

I got my copy of Psychology Today in the mail. There is an interesting cover article, "Life Lessons: 5 Truths People Learn Too late." What really caught my eye was the quote on page 61 from the research from Utah. "Low levels of social interaction have the same effects as smoking 15 cigarettes a day--and worse effects than being obese or not exercising." I thought it interesting that two universities from Utah [University of Utah and Brigham Young University] were sited in this article about the dangers of social isolation since the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints are big ones for shunning. The psychological damage and abuse of shunning is tremendous. Many churches use shunning as a way of getting their members into line. The Amish are another religion that does this. If I were in the Senate, I'd write a bill to prevent churches from allowing such a practice that is such a danger to public health. It is cruel. It is interesting that Christian churches often use shunning because Jesus said to love all your neighbors as yourself. This doesn't mean that you judge. This means that you love even those people who are hard to love. God judges.

When I was a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from 1995 to 2001 or 2002, my husband and I were shunned. It wasn't any fun and I couldn't understand why. We were serving as church service missionaries at the time to help people find employment in an 8 stake area. I quit after 6 months after the shunning. I objected to many things about this church which you don't learn until you get deeper into it. My husband and I wrote letters to Salt Lake City objecting to things that shouldn't happen. My husband told me that in Elders Quorum, there were times when an order to shun an individual was announced.

It has been coming out in the newspapers in Oregon and Washington how the Boy Scouts of America has been protecting child abusers who have served as leaders. The general public doesn't realize how linked Boy Scouts is with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. A leader in Boy Scouts is a calling in the church. Boy Scouts is basically a Mormon organization!

In the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, you can't have a different opinion and you can't challenge a leader or question them. You must always fall into line. After my letter to Salt Lake City, Bishop Haslam told my husband to shut me up and control me. Not long after he was promoted to Stake President. No matter what a leader does, it is right in this church. Members can become gods. I think this is what attracted my husband. And it is funny but even if the leader is wrong, it is still the will of God because it was meant to happen. Will I vote for Romney? Not in a million years!!!!!

So what did I object to in this church that brought the big sanction?  I disagree with polygamy. This church keeps printing quads that says it is God's will. One of my letters was about this. I disagree with protecting child abusers and not reporting crimes to the police. When you go to the temple, you have to promise not to laugh loud. I knew this wasn't going to work out when I heard this. Happiness is bad. One doctor bragged to my husband that Utah was an enlightened state because it uses the most psychotropic drugs. That's necessary to keep their members following the leaders and not objecting to anything they do. You can't have a temple recommend, if you disagree with the leadership of the church. Bah humbug. In other words, you can't have an opinion that is different. I was told I couldn't read National Geographic and should only read church literature. This was from a visit from my visiting teachers from the Relief Society when I lived in Alsea.
There is more that I object to.  What did I enjoy about the church? I loved singing in the Stake choir. I loved writing plays and planning for Primary as Primary President. I loved visiting sisters. I loved having parties in my home in Salem at the 4 Corners Ward in East Salem when I lived on Burlwood Loop. I miss this. Do I have friends now? No. Were these people my friends? No. They weren't there when I needed someone when my husband died and when I needed help.

No comments: