Monday, August 13, 2012

Health Care

I keep hearing from different people about how awful the health care in Canada is. "#%^&@," I say. The people in Canada receive health care and they don't have to pay. Maybe sometimes they have to wait in lines but at least they get care. I haven't had a complete physical in years and years. I don't remember when the last time was because if I do see a doctor and pay through the nose, it is for a specific symptom. Last time was to clean the wax out of my ears. Yes, for the most part I am very healthy. That's because I am putting my money into a gym membership and healthy eating. I won't receive care until 2014 when President Obama's health care kicks in. Then I still won't get the care that I would get in Sweden or in countries where prevention comes first. Prevention doesn't come first in this country. There has to be a major overhaul in the health care system.

In the United States, there is a different kind of health care when you are rich and have lots of medical insurance compared to the health care you get when you don't have insurance or lots of money. I know because I saw what happened to my husband in Oregon. Let me give you just one example. He was being seen by an oncologist at OHSU, the best care in Oregon. She said he needed a blood transfusion so I said why can't he have it right now. She said he has to come back for an outpatient treatment. That meant that I had to drive him back to Alsea, three hours away and then come back two days later, three hours back. It was hard for him to sit in the car because he had a feeding tube and he was in pain. I brought him back to get the blood transfusion and he ended up in the ER and admitted to the hospital. Am I impressed with health care in this country. NO!

To even think that Romney could get elected makes me shudder because he wants to take everything back to the Bush disaster where this country was verging on a major depression. Romney doesn't think the rich should have to pay 60% in taxes. He doesn't think many programs that help people should continue.

I hope and pray that President Obama gets reelected and that the Democrats work together for better health care.

Senator Bernie Sanders from Vermont should run for President after President Obama has finished his last 4 years, then maybe health care would really get good and people would be valued in this country.

No comments: