Monday, August 27, 2012

Social Isolation

In the September/October 2012 issue of Psychology Today, there is a quote on page 61 that says, "low levels of social interaction have the same effects as smoking 15 cigarettes a day--and worse effects than being obese or not exercising." This is important so I'm going to talk about it again. Young people don't talk anymore. They text. They e-mail. They twitter. Does social interaction mean talking face to face? Does texting and e-mail count as social interaction? I don't find it enough. I think there needs to be more face to face contact.

In the time of Facebook and texting, conversation is rare but so desperately needed. There needs to be more opportunities for social interaction where there is conversation, debate, socializing, talking, etc. There needs to be gathering centers in every neighborhood. There isn't a Senior Center in Northgate. There needs to be one. Most gyms don't have smoothie bars with lots of tables that encourage people to gather and talk. There needs to be opportunities to mingle to get to know your neighbors and learn about them and talk within a safe area.

As babyboomers grow older, this will be even more important to have ways to connect and gather.

I've been very deliberate in my attempt to find what I want in Seattle. I go out almost every day to do something. I try to exercise every day at the gym. Sometimes I go mall walking. I enjoy walking around Green Lake but don't do it as often as I should. I enjoy Hydrofit at the Helen Madison pool. I love to play mah jongg but often find a conflict with the times for mah jongg and my first priority that is exercise/health. I want to learn bridge but haven't found a beginning bridge group to play with. I read lots of books. Sometimes I go to a movie. I guess I am kind of boring but I have a good time.

Do I have close friends yet? No, but I figure that if I keep doing what I am doing, I am going to find good friends.

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.