Saturday, September 09, 2006

Consumers Power Inc.

Did I have a great day or what! September 9th is my lucky day. I went to the annual Consumers Power meeting for all its share holders. Everyone in the area served by Consumers Power was invited. Last year I heard from some women at quilting how great it was so I was determined to attend this year. I'm so glad I did. My husband and I had a great time.

Consumers Power is a coop and gives better service than any we have experienced living in other cities. Last year Oregon had major weather problems. When an outage occured, they are right out there fixing the problem in the worst weather. You can count on them to get the job done right and done as quickly as possible.

Not only do you get great service from Consumers Power but they invite you to an annual free chicken dinner with all the trimmings. Yes, my mind constantly centers on good food. Two pieces of crispy chicken from KFC with cold slaw, baked beans, potato salad, and one of those melt-in-your-mouth biscuits. There was also cartons of cold chocolate milk, coffee, ice cream, and delicious white cake with nice people all around you at one of the large three long tables. Each family took home an aster. I got a purple aster. I've been wanting one. They served a lot of people. It had to have been over 200. Maybe more.

During the meeting, they gave out great prizes to anyone with a winning ticket. They gave out everything from a chain saw and brush cutter to a set of knives and a blow dryer. A bald man won the blow dryer so that got a laugh. I won the perfect gift. It was something that I have been wanting for a long time--a HoMedics Sound Spa with six nature sounds (ocean, summer night, rain, rainforest, thunder, and waterfall). It's a clock radio with an alarm clock. You can work, read, and go to sleep at night or wake up listening to the sound of a rainforest or a waterfall. Since I love the sound of water, it's the perfect gift for Wendy. Thank you Consumers Power!

Mark Parker spoke during the meeting, the Voice of the Oregon State University Beavers. He was fun to listen to, especially when he recapped the great moment when the Beavers won the National Baseball League Championship. It was fun to hear that at the age of seven, he was giving a play by play account of his friends as they played basketball and baseball together. It was cute when he said his parents encouraged him as he used a tape recorder when he watched the games on television growing up to record his own sports commentary. He's now living his dream since 1999 to give the play by play of the OSU Beavers. What a great guy and a nice person! The OSU Beavers have the potential to win every game, every year. They just have to work hard and believe.

The monthly magazine, the Ruralite, was also there handing out free coffee to everyone. It would be fun to write articles for the Ruralite.

What a great day! I met so many nice people. I saw Russ Sapp (a nice family from Alsea) up on the stage who represents Alsea. I won a great gift for which I am grateful that I will use every day. I had a great lunch with KFC chicken. They gave everyone an extension cord and four 60 watt eco light bulbs. The only thing I didn't get to do was ride in the bucket. Maybe next year....

No comments: