Friday, September 15, 2006

Meet the Candidates

Republican candidate, Jim Feldkamp who is running for a seat as a U.S. Congressman came to Alsea on Wednesday evening.

I forgot to put this event on my calendar. I didn't realize that I made an error until I saw the Jim Feldkamp sign in front of the Alsea Hope Grange on Thursday on my way to the library. When I got home, I looked at my copy of the Alsea Valley Voice, our community newsletter. Yup, I'd missed it. It was the night before.

What should I have done? I should have highlighted this on my calendar. It's a great idea to meet candidates, ask them questions, listen to what they have to say and see how they field questions. It's unusual that candidates come to Alsea, which is out in the middle of no where, 45 minutes from the nearest city with bargain shopping.

I know I have been interested in politics less and less. I used to subscribe to the Congressional Record years ago when I first got married. It came in the mail every day. Over the years, I have enjoyed watching C-Span to see live debate in the House and Senate.

I am concerned about the election process. I am concerned that nothing is being done about the integrity of the election process to make sure that each vote counts and is protected. When evidence was brought forward to show that voting machines have been tampered with so that a vote for one candidate will register a vote for another candidate and nothing has been done, something is very wrong. The voting process should be of utmost concern by all people in the United States.

I remember watching BookTV on the weekend on C-Span2 when the author spoke who wrote about this very issue. His book documented evidence that the election process was tampered with throughout our nation starting with the Presidential election between Bush and Gore and then again in the last election. Something is wrong when attorneys don't come forward to protect the law and the integrity of the vote. People in power remain silent as if powerless. Why?

Until this matter is fixed, we can not be sure that our vote counts. Is the American electorate in a state of denial, marching forward anyway going through all the formality of an election process? I am worried about the integrity of the voting process.

Oregon has paper ballots. I'm grateful for that. I want my vote to count. Each vote should be guarded and protected. Each vote needs to count in every election, especially the national election.

No comments: