Tuesday, October 17, 2006

The Long Ridge Writer's Group

This morning at 10 pst in the writing forum at www.longridgewritersgroup.com, Mary Rosenblum said, "Words are just the lego pieces you use to build the castle." I love this quote. Mary is the forum moderator and webmaster for the Long Ridge Writers Group, which is connected to the Institute of Children's Literature.

Mary Rosenblum has published 7 novels and over 60 short stories for Asimiov's and Ellery Queen Mystery Magazines. Mary teaches writing and is a frequent speaker at writing conferences. See an earlier post in my blog where I nominated Mary as one of the women I admire most in the world.

I'm in the middle of reading one of Mary Freeman's (aka Mary Rosenblum) mysteries, Garden View. I found some sentences I like in her book. Mary said, "Rumors had wings here, and grew like zucchini wherever they landed." Another one...."Death was a personal enemy here--a dark familiar who peeked from the depths of the mirror and lurked behind the infirmary door." Then in describing what a gardener or landscaper can do in dialogue, she wrote...."You create magic places for people. So that they can dream, they walk into them and escape all the ugliness of the real world."

I know from writing forums that Mary has a big garden and writes a series of garden mysteries. The last quote makes me understand the potential of what I can do here in my own garden in Alsea on my 3.68 acres to create my own magic place to escape all the ugliness of the real world. I think it should be surrounded by sunflowers.

Yesterday I took the heads of my sunflowers and put them on my fence so I could watch the Steller's Jays eat all the seeds from my kitchen window.

No comments: