Friday, October 13, 2006

News Column

I read a newspaper column recently by a young person writing for the Gazette Times in Corvallis, Oregon. I'm impressed with the Gazette Times for encouraging young people to write and for all their amazing and creative efforts to encourage readers.

This column written by the young person expressed a common attitude expressed by many these days. The idea is that one shouldn't create a scandal by shining a light on what's wrong in life. I have a difficult time agreeing with this because I think that it is far more important to make sure that a scandal does not happen in the first place and that light does shine on what's wrong.

A check and balance system in a free society should ferret out what's wrong, correct it, and prevent it from happening again, in my opinion. The right to express your opinion is central to this and a concept that is growing more restricted. This concerns me.

No comments: