Thursday, October 05, 2006

Patricia Dunn

On the front page of the Gazette Times this morning is the headline, "Five charged with felonies at Hewlett Packard." www.gazettetimes.com Patricia Dunn is one of the five charged in the companies "disastrous boardroom leak investigation."

The first thing that came to my mind is that I wonder if Patricia Dunn is a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Why? I know that there are many members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints who work at Hewlett Packard in Corvallis and in other places. As a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from 1995 to 2001 serving in callings in the Stake Relief Society Presidency, Primary President, and as a church service missionary helping people in Salem, Oregon find employment in an eight stake area, I have seen how easily members violate basic constitutional rights of their church members without hesitation.

When you move to a different city or ward in a different part of the city, Relief Society sisters offer to help you unpack and help you put things away. There is a purpose to this joyous help. The Relief Society President or a member of the Relief Society Presidency reports back on any books, possessions, or food that is contraband or violates the word of wisdom. You can tell a lot about a family by looking at their possessions, books, and what they have in their cupboards. Is there reading material that you shouldn't be reading? I was told I shouldn't be reading National Geographic by a visiting teacher here in Alsea. Is there coffee or tea in your cupboards? The Elders Quorum President went through my cupboards in Alsea.

When I moved to Alsea, I was asked by the Relief Society President what I wanted or needed. I said friendship because I knew it would be hard for me to live in Alsea. I think she was taken aback by that. They offered to unpack my things. I wasn't raised to take advantage of kindness. I also wasn't raised to go through people's things or go into people's drawers when I visit someone. I think I was suspect from the beginning because I didn't allow them to unpack. Yes, it would have made my life easier. I don't have questionable stuff, but this is a violation of basic privacy.

I also wonder if the person who set up Homeland Security is a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints because these ideas come right out of church practice.

Let's see now...........violating constitutional rights, hiding assets (my husband saw this happen when we worked as church service missionaries), protecting child preditors (the Catholic Church isn't the only one)..................It seems like there is a case to be made in court to take away the tax exemption from this church.

No comments: