Monday, October 09, 2006

Swampgrass

On Saturday night, I took my five bucks in hand and went to the Hope Grange in Alsea to hear the legendary band, Swampgrass. I had one of the best times that I've had since I moved here five years ago and all I did was sit on a bench by myself and listen. The members of the band came out of retirement for one last time as a fundraiser for the Hope Grange. Most of the members are probably pushing 60 and 70 and you would never guess by looking at each one that there was this kind of music pulsing in their veins. They surprised me. I didn't know anyone on stage. I'd heard of Russ Sapp since he is on the board for Consumers Power. Everyone should hear him play and sing.

One of the guys hadn't been on stage for 20 years and yet when he belted out the Johnny Cash song, "A Guy Named Sue," I had a hard time believing that he hadn't been on stage every night for the last ten years.

These guys are really good. They sure had a great drummer. It's sad to think that they aren't going to play anymore. They played a mix of rock and country. It was all good and some of it original. The Hope Grange was crowded with young and old. There were some good dancers out there carving out patterns on the floor. It looked like everyone was having a great time as evidenced with smiles, laughter, dancing, and singing with the band. It was good old-fashioned fun and something that Alsea needs.

I'd like to see a community band and community theater. It would be nice to have weekly or at least monthly dances. My husband and I don't dance but I think everyone else would enjoy it. They sure did on Saturday night.

I got a chance to talk to one member of the band between sets. I asked him who everyone was and I found out that he was Gary Banowetz who leads a research department at OSU working for the federal government in the development of biofuels. They are planning on reopening the old lumber mills here in Alsea and using them to convert wood and straw to biofuel. He said that the USDA believes that straw and manure will be the largest source of material to be used to create biofuel. It's a safe bet that it will be up and running in 5 years. If you have 1000 acres of grassland and a combine, you will reap the rewards of cashing in on this new venture. My 3.68 acres just wouldn't do. I can see a Nobel Prize on the horizon for Gary Banowetz who is living out his boyhood dream of finding an alternative source of fuel to gasoline.

It was nice to see the community having fun on Saturday night. I'm glad I got the chance to hear Swampgrass. It was worth going and spending the $5.

No comments: