Sunday, October 01, 2006

National Novel Writing Month


November is National Novel Writing Month. This is a challenge to write the first draft of a novel in 30 days during the month of November. I completed the challenge last year and signed up this morning to begin again on November 1.

Chris Baty, who started this Nano challenge, wrote a book about it called NO PLOT, NO PROBLEM. On the wall next to my computer is the scheduled word count outline for each day during the month. On day 1, I should have 1,667 words done. Day 5--8,335 words. Day 10--16,670. Day 15--25,005 words and so on.

People all over the world take up this writing challenge. It's pretty exciting to be part of this amazing experience.

The website is www.nanowrimo.org. I signed up as wendywrites. You can keep track of my progress and say a few prayers for me during the month to keep me moving towards my goal. I will be listed under Team 2006. Right now I'm listed for Team 2005.

I learned a lot by taking this writing challenge last year. I learned I could write the first draft of a novel in a month which sure boosted my writing confidence. Before this time, I was struggling with my writing speed. Nanowrimo is the marathon for writers. As I keep learning how to write well, I should be able to turn out two novels a year--my goal.

1 comment:

justJoan said...

I'm so glad you are doing Nano again this year! I'll keep an eye out for you. I also signed up for it again this year. :D