Tuesday, January 20, 2009

National Day of Service

Yesterday was National Day of Service and I helped out for a couple of hours to help get donations of food and money for the Food Bank in Alsea located at the Alsea Christian Fellowship Church. I had a few questions about the program so I visited the Food Bank personally before I volunteered and received the tour from Pastor Bill Smith. Most of the food comes from the government such as beans, rice, canned vegetables and fruit, peanut butter, flour, etc. U.S.D.A. is stamped on the boxes. I learned that when a family comes in need to the Food Bank, they will receive a box of food that will last them about three days. Usually these families also use food stamps to help them the rest of the month.

People were generous as I was sitting at a table in the front at John Boy's Mercantile with money and cans of food.

The most fun was talking to a student and his mother who were also volunteering with this effort. The high school student, Connor is obviously bright and creative. It was fun to learn from him about using water colors. It made me sad though when I thought of how much I have wanted my life to be filled with students so that I could help them reach for their dreams.

No comments: