Thursday, February 19, 2009

Alsea Library

I volunteered at the Alsea Library on Wednesday morning. I had been asked to come to the library to help people with word processing or work on their resumes. I was surprised and pleased to see a nice poster on the front door saying that I would come on Wednesday mornings and that I would also help anyone interested in writing a novel. That was nice of the librarian to write.

Mary Rounds, the librarian for the Alsea Library is the one who asked me and put up the poster.
She made me feel welcome by doing so. Although no one was interested in my help on Wednesday, I asked to help around the library since I was there. I shredded papers and straightened the juvenile section. I had a great time dressing the books.

While I was on the floor, I found Junie B. Jones on the bottom shelf. She isn't happy one bit for she wants to be noticed and read. She is clammering for attention. [At the risk of disappointing those who always want to think the worst of me...No, I don't hear or see things that aren't there. I just have a rich imagination, as do all writers.]

I was also happy to find a book by Judy Cox, a children's author who lives in eastern Oregon and who taught a class I attended about writing for children. She's such a nice person and talented writer.

One thing that is wonderful about a library is that unlike most groups in a community, all these books sit side by side with many differing points of view and they get along. They don't throw each other off the shelf, try to hurt one another, or say mean things. They coexist. What a wonderful example of respect for all. I have always loved the library and being around books. Books are comforting to me and in them are words of wisdom, great thoughts, and adventures to experience. I believe it is important to read many different points of view, think about it, and then come to your own conclusion.

No comments: