Wednesday, February 04, 2009

OHSU

On Monday I drove to Oregon Health Sciences University to see Dr. Lombardi at the Casey Eye Institute to check my cataracts that I was told I had years ago. I found out that I have high pressure in my right eye that they are concerned about that may require surgery. My left eye shows scarring of the retina. I remember when that happened. I was under severe stress and had high blood pressure at the time. I had a sea of floaters in my field of vision and was checked by a great doctor at Peace Health in Eugene who was very concerned about my vision. I learned that it is possible I have glaucoma. It seems like cataracts are the least of my problem at the moment. I could end up blind, which would cause a drastic change in my life so I couldn't see the beauty that surrounds me, or the birds, or the trees, or the words on the page of great books, or the words on my computer screen that I write.

Jeanine checked me before seeing Dr. Lombardi and she was the one who alerted Dr. Lombardi to the high pressure in my right eye. She is meticulous and careful and a nice person.

Karl took digital photos of my eyes afterwards and was great about explaining what was in the photos. He's a great guy who is professional and cares about doing an excellent job.

I am grateful to have the opportunity to be seen at OHSU where there is cutting edge research in all areas of medicine and the doctors care about helping their patients.

No comments: