Friday, February 20, 2009

House Hunters

It's fun to watch House Hunters and House Hunters International on HGTV. You get to see the world and other parts of the U.S. plus tour homes. It does wet my appetitite for more. I've always wanted a 4,000 to 5,000 square foot home overlooking water or the ocean within walking distance to a gym, shopping, a library, and restaurants. I would need a room just for floor to ceiling books cases for a library with comfortable chairs and a large table to spread out papers, a large kitchen with granite counter tops, a lap pool, a great room, large size rooms, and many other features that would be important to me. However, I can't afford all this but I can write about things like this in my novels. I always dream big and my husband says I always want more than I have.

Putting all this into perspective, dreams like this don't work unless everyone can have it. It doesn't work out when a few can have and the majority can't. It would be nice if everyone can have the perfect home of their dreams. That is what I wish for everyone.

When I was very young, probably in the 5 to 8 age range, I used to listen to a recording of a book about a statue of a prince who had jewels and gold leaves all over. A bird--a swallow sat on his shoulder. As the prince heard or saw great need around him, he would tell the swallow, pretty swallow, to take the gold leaf and other valuable ornaments off him to give to the poor. Even the jewels for his eyes were given to the poor so the swallow became his eyes. Slowly, the statue of the prince was reduced to barren stone. After that the swallow died from the cold, the heart inside the statue of the prince cracked.

No comments: