Monday, February 09, 2009

Oregon Legislature

Yesterday on the front page of the Corvallis Gazette Times is an article with a headline that reads "Salem seeks input on state cuts." I was thinking that I wanted to testify since I was planning on staying with my daughter, Gretchen and her family on Tuesday and Wednesday nights. I thought it would be fun since I have always wanted to testify before the Oregon Legislature and I have something to say.

I even wrote a speech in large type to take with me. A short one since I figure they only allow a couple of minutes of testimony per individual.

Here's what I wrote:

I am very happy to be here. [I would smile very big and wave.]

All of you in this room care about Oregon and the people who live in Oregon. I came here today to ask you to think about your financial choices in a different way and ask that you show with your choices that you value the people of Oregon.

The last few months has shown what greed can do to business, our economy, and our country. President Obama is working hard to lead this nation to give hope to all Americans and to heal our country.

The most important resource we have in Oregon is our people. If you make the choice to invest in people, to show you care about the people in Oregon with services that provide support, there is no limit to the greatness Oregon can achieve.

Taking away services, takes away hope. All Oregonians should have the opportunity to have a quality education. All Oregonians should have the opportunity to receive health care and services that help them. All Oregonians who are unable to protect themselves, like children and the elderly, must be taken care of and protected. Public safety is also an essential service.

I came here to ask that you get to the root cause of the problem by putting a cap on greed. I ask that you encourage new businesses in Oregon who agree to pay their fair share in tax dollars. I ask that you find ways and incentives to encourage old business in Oregon to start paying their fair share and shoulder the burden. I implore you to put a cap on salaries and freeze salaries until Oregon is in a healthier place. I implore you to follow and support President Obama by taxing the people of Oregon who earn more than $250,000 a year.

These are the places where you should be digging for money for the budget of Oregon, not by cutting services.

I implore you to show that you value the people of Oregon and set a precedent that leads the nation to a better tomorrow for all Americans.

This morning when I got up, I was thinking of a better idea to add but since I am not going to be able to go and speak to the legislature, I'll add it here. [My daughter is very sick. She called last night. She got a really bad cold after traveling to a conference in Texas. She needs to see a doctor. I'm worried about her. Gretchen is amazing, brilliant, and works hard to help people in her position as Executive Director of Liberty House so she needs to be healthy so she can continue to be a great mother and make a difference in Salem.]

I was thinking that all businesses who want to commit to a better Oregon and a better United States by paying their fair share of taxes instead of avoiding them could have a special sign that is posted that says Oregon Fair Share Business 2009. This sign is put up each year after the business has paid their fair share of taxes to help Oregon and help out President Obama. I think this is a great idea since right now businesses are into greed and avoiding taxes and don't want to be responsible for services or help out our nation. I know I would shop first at a Oregon Fair Share Business who is paying taxes to support the people of Oregon.

I learned after talking to Gretchen that her husband, Chris Bennett just got straight A's and is on the Dean's List for his online bachelor's degree that he's working on. I was very proud to hear that and even prouder when he said that he was planning on going to law school to become an attorney and wants to work in the DA's office in Salem. I'm very proud of him.

No comments: