Monday, January 14, 2013

Trader Joes

I shopped at Trader Joes in the U-District on Saturday. I needed olive oil and I always buy olive oil at Trader Joes. Every time I go to Trader Joes, I think as I drive home, Why in the world do I shop anywhere else? I always save money--about half. For example, I bought a huge spaghetti squash which would have been at least $5 anywhere else but at Trader Joes, it was under $3. So many great prices.

We really need a Trader Joes in Northgate. It isn't too far for me to drive to the U-District but it isn't as convenient as walking across the street or driving a couple of blocks, which is what I usually do when I need to go to the grocery store. I like supporting Trader Joes and I save money. I need to start going there once a week.

Let's take a look at the great savings at Trader Joes. Here's what I bought and what I spent on Saturday:
kefir $2.99
English cucumber  $1.69
bag of teeny tiny potatoes  $1.99
avocado  $.99
two red bell peppers  $2.38
cashews  $6.99
2# organic sweet onions $2.49
2 savory thin multigrain crackers  $5.98
2 cut up Asian stir fry vegetables 18 oz packages  $7.98
2 cut up healthy chopped vegetables packages  $5.98
2 chunky salsa  $4.58
boneless skinless chicken breasts  $5.38
butternut squash  $1.69
spaghetti squash  $2.29
organic vodka spaghetti sauce $2.99
sugar snap peas  $2.69
3 large bottles of olive oil  $17.97
For a grand total of $78.44.
Considering that usually when I go to the store, it can easily be over $150 or close to $200 for what I select, which is mostly vegetables and fruit, this is great.

I do like going to different stores for different things. It's great to see the variety and then you learn what prices are cheaper at which store. I DO love shopping at Trader Joes and I wish we had a Trader Joes in Northgate or I need to find an apartment in the U-District and then I could walk to Trader Joes and take classes at UDub.

No comments: