Friday, June 18, 2010

Alsea Valley Voice

I was the editor of the print edition of the Alsea Valley Voice from July, 2009 through April, 2010. It was fun, at least in the beginning. I loved writing articles, interviewing people, encouraging new writers, and working to showcase talent in the area. I loved volunteering in this way.

What made it hard at the end was when people in the area and leaders would promise articles that they did not deliver. I was promised 8 items for the April issue that I didn't receive. I had hoped for 12. I was told that I expected too much. What made it even more frustrating was that when I started to write more, I was criticized by some for making it all about me. I guess interviewing people and writing articles with my by-line was too much of Wendy for some. Oh, well.......... I guess they want an invisible editor and invisible writers that showcase the area.

I figured that someone more connected to the community would do a much better job of getting more articles so I quit. Within 5 days time after my e-mail resignation, the board met, found a new editor, and someone came to my door to get everything. They jumped at the opportunity so I fade into the background again. Will I surface again to volunteer in Alsea. I doubt it. Every attempt seems to end the same way. I'm not wanted here and I'm not valued. Simple as that.

No comments: